Marshall, John W. Parables of War: Reading John’s Jewish Apocalypse . Studies in Christianity and Judaism, 10. Waterloo, Ontario: Wilfrid Laurier University Press (for the Canadian Corporation for Studies in Religion = Corporation canadienne des sciences religieuses), 2001. vii + 258.
A revised edition of the author’s Ph.D-thesis (see here).
Table of Contents:
- Aporias: Passages Without Passage
- Meanings: Names and Paths
- Terms: The Supplement and/or the Complement
- Taxonomy: The Sine Qua Non of Christianity?
- Narratives: John(‘s) Becomes a Christian (Document)
- Names: Choosing Categories
- Date: That Long Year
- Location: Diaspora in War
- Parables I: Standing Fast Among the Nations
- Parables II: Defending the Holy City
- Results: Judaism in Asia and Devotion to Jesus
Includes bibliographical references (pp. 208-239) and index.
“Provocative theoretical insights about the formation of early Christian communities in a first-century Jewish context have been stretched too far in this book” (Robert M. Royalty – read all of his review)